GERD is a chronic digestive disease.
Which occurs when stomach acid, and occasionally stomach contents (food) flows back into your esophagus (food pipe). This backwash (reflux) causes inflammation the lining of the esophagus resulting in GERD.
Both acid-reflux and heartburn are common digestive conditions that many people experience from time to time.
Other symptoms include:
- Abdominal cramps or spasm
- Chest pain (non angina-like)
- Sour / acidic taste in your mouth
- Excessive burping / belching
- Difficulty in swallowing (late)
- Painful swallowing (late)
When these signs and symptoms occur at least twice each week or interfere with your daily life then one needs to investigate for GERD.
- Gastroscopy / Upper Endoscopy
Other causes that may cause similar symptoms?
- Gastric (stomach) ulcers
- Duodenal ulcers
- Gallbladder inflammation / infection
- Stomach cancer
- Esophageal cancer